12/8/11

New Year's Eve


I've decided that New Years Eve is kinda like an adult version of prom. Maybe it's just cuz I'm young and single, but here is my reasoning:

[lolz]
It's one night. One night of the year. On this one night, it's expected that you go all out. Spend lots of money, buy the perfect outfit and make the ultimate plans that include lots of dancing, alcohol and sparkly things. This all should be figured out quite some time in advance. And you definitely need to make sure there's someone to kiss at midnight: whether they are your date, a cutie you have your eye on that will be at the same party, or some rando you meet that night. If you don't have most or all of these things for NYE then you are missing out, for sure.

Maybe you don't relate to this, but I feel these pressures every time December rolls around and people begin talking about their NYE plans. It is beyond easy to get caught up in all of this. I mean, it's what everyone tells us we should be doing. Fortunately I catch myself in this thought process - is this really how I'm going to define the start of a new year? Am I going to let society tell me what I want/need and what's gonna make NYE the best night everrr?

I hope not. I hope I'll be able to recognize when I'm finding my value (or even the value of one night) in what society says instead of where I should be finding my value - in Christ. I'm pretty sure God's not like "NYE!!! Best night of your life, make sure you don't miss out!"

I'm not saying all of these things are bad. They aren't. But where is my heart in all of this? Where is your heart? What am I trying to prove? Who am I trying to impress? I don't want to get caught up in temporary things of this world when I have so much more to live for. This one night is not going to determine the rest of my life, or even the next year of my life. It's one night. And guess what? God willing, in 365 days, it's gonna happen again.

So what do you think? Do you agree? Do you find yourself getting caught up in the pressures of NYE?


Note: I didn't really spend time explaining what I mean by "finding my value in Christ" or "having so much more to live for." If you want to know more about that or don't understand exactly what I mean by that, please feel free to ask me. I'll commit right now to posting about those things sometime in the (near-ish) future. But seriously, if you don't want to wait until then and have questions, please ask.

1 comment:

  1. I was caught up in the New Years Eve thing like everyone else. But a few years ago, I did work at a restaurant for that special night. It was a lot of fun, even if I wasn't out on a date. I especially liked the year 2000. Had a big party here. Figured it the world was gonna end that night, I might as well be with all my friends. Even then Suzie, you asked me what the big deal was? I said "to me it was a part of history we will never see again." I mean, afterall, how many people actually get to see the change of a millenium?..What were people like 1000 years ago? What did they do to celebrate the year 1000?

    ReplyDelete