1/14/12

guard that heart

I just finished the book Emotional Purity: An Affair of the Heart, by Heather Arnel Paulsen.

It is SO GOOD. I received it as a Christmas gift from the always wonderful Michelle. She started reading it last semester and I called dibs on it next. Instead she just bought me my own. Which is wonderful because I fully intend on lending it out to a lot of people. It's also super easy/fast to read through.

249780_231113653569760_213380882009704_1121916_6881157_n_largeIt applies to everyone, but it is so helpful to me for two main reasons:

ONE: I have not been the best at being emotionally pure so far in my life. I also definitely know the heartbreak that is a result of that, so I knew this would be helpful to me. Especially considering I am still single, but my desire is to give the man I'll be with (aka married to) someday all I've got. No sense in handing that out to everyone in between, right? This book was so convicting. I'm not saying I'm perfect now - it is, and will be, a process.

TWO: I'm going into college ministry and if that's not a playground for people getting emotionally involved, I don't know what is. So I knew it would be great for advice-giving. Good, Bible-based advice. And maybe an occasional lovingly-calling-someone-out. I can't even tell you how many times I've seen people get hurt because they didn't guard their own or someone else's heart (myself included - if you know me you totally just laughed right now, stop it). Although I know reading this one book won't solve all these problems, I really think what Heather says and the experience she has are both super helpful. And yeah, "hurt is inevitable" and "It is better to loved than not love at all" blah blah blah. Yes, pain is unavoidable and yes God calls us to love, but I'm pretty sure he does not want us throwing our heart to whoever comes around and shows the slightest interest. That's what this book is about.

But we're not gonna get into all the details. This woman took 153 pages going into the details and explaining it better than I ever could. Plus she's speaking from a lot of experience. So what I'm saying is that I highly recommend reading this book. She might seem to be coming off a little bit extreme sometimes, but I think it's because we are so used to our society's standards that when we hear of the purity God intended for us we're like, "whaaa?!" With that said, if you do read this or hear me talking about this, I would ask that you would really open your heart to what God desires for us and is trying to show you.

Also, it is not just for girls. She obviously speaks from a woman's perspective, but I think that makes it even more beneficial to guys to maybe understand how crazy us girls can be sometimes. There are even "For Guys Only" sections written just for the fellas. Cuuute.

I thought it would be fun to share a few of my favorite quotes from the book, then I realized it would be impossible to choose just a few and it would triple the size of this post.

If you do read this book I want you to tell me. So I can make references about it to you. It's like having an inside joke that will make other people want to read it and learn, too. It's just so good. Michelle and I already constantly refer to things we've learned from this book. This stuff is relevant, yo.

Tumblr_lwvvzxwqxl1qg2xooo1_500_large
[is it bad that I love this picture? got it here, of course]

*Now that I got this out there, this serves as disclaimer for maybe seeming "rude" to guys when they're trying to get all emotional with me before some sort of commitment is made, right? I'm just trying to pursue God and the purity he calls me to! As Heather says, "I will not be single a day longer than He plans for me."

"28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28

8 comments:

  1. alright, well come on back down to school so you can lend me the book! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle has a copy, too! =]

      Delete
  2. I'm calling dibs after Heather. It sounds like a really good book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle has a copy, too! =]

      Delete
  3. I think iI'll buy this book. I'm pretty convinced I need it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how you like it!

      Delete
  4. Amanda Montufar1/14/12, 2:53 PM

    I have honestly been looking for a book to read with all this new free time I have now lol, and I will definitely be looking out for this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah well let me know if you want to hang out!! Or discuss the book =] I love talking about stuff I'm learning.

      Delete