2/2/12

made to crave

Tumblr_lf8q1lx86f1qzdiqvo1_500_largeRemember that one time I talked about how much I love candy? (here or here)

My incredible skills of finding and eating candy are also a weakness. I'm currently reading a book called "Made to Crave: Satisfying your deepest desire with God, not food" by Lysa TerKeurst.

It's actually somewhat embarrassing even to tell you that. But if I'm honest, I like food and especially candy - and that gets me into bad places. I'm only about halfway through the book but I love everything Lysa has to say. I appreciate her honesty and her ability to communicate God's will for our lives even when it comes to food.
"If we find that certain foods are impossible to walk away from - we can't or won't deny ourselves an unhealthy choice in order to make a healthier choice - then it's a clue we are being ruled by this food on some level. Being ruled by something other than God diminishes our commitment and will make us feel increasingly distant from Him. 
Being ruled by anything other than God is something God takes quite seriously. And so should I ... I don't want to live resistant to the power Christ's death and resurrection provides for me just because I can't walk away from my unhealthy cravings."
I love that and I want it to be true for me.

I was thinking the other day about being in situations where you say no to another cookie or a second serving and someone tells you "Oh, don't worry it's just one more" or "it's a special occasion, you can have dessert" or something like that. It's frustrating that we are willing to say such things to each other. Shouldn't we be encouraging each other to achieve our goals and to take care of the bodies God has given us? If we're willing to compromise this once, who says we won't do the same again? Then it becomes a regular occurrence. The truth is all that stuff adds up. And it's more than the number on the scale or clothing size - it's a matter of the heart.

You might think I'm crazy, but it really is a struggle for a lot of people. If this is something you struggle with, I would encourage you to not justify eating another cookie. If this isn't something you struggle with, I would ask you to not tell someone else (including me!) that it's okay to indulge.

You could really be helping someone take one step closer to breaking free.

2 comments:

  1. Was this that book you were telling me about before, or is it in the same vein but a different book?

    It's a really good way to look at it. Resisting that one more piece of food can be really difficult. It's the little stuff that you don't watch that really adds up too. Weight Watchers as an example, ignoring little things can really put me over the point limit, and then zero weight loss takes place.

    Asking God for that little bit(okay, probably a lot) of help resisting and really resting on His power really does wonders too.

    Why must food be so darn tasty?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the same book I was telling you about .. I may or may not take forever to read through a book. And yeah I totes agree!

      Delete