8/7/12

ten months

Ten months. That's how long I've been home. Being back home full-time is definitely different. I was essentially gone for four years. During those four years my time home was always very temporary, whether it was a weekend or a month.

Anyway, ten months has been enough time to reconnect with people from my past. In other words, high school. Maybe high school was super awesome for you, but I would not say the same for myself. What I would say is this: being reconnected with some of these people from the past has reminded me of where I was, and where God has brought me.

I was recently talking to one of these people from the past. Our friendship itself shows how God can redeem broken relationships. We had a falling out in high school, but God has changed both our lives and now we are super close (seriously so cool). We were talking and I asked her "Remember in high school, before we stopped being friends, when we would write notes to each other about how awesome the other person was?" Her response: "No. To be honest, all my memories of you from high school are not good."

... ouch. But not really. Maybe surprisingly, such a reminder has been tremendously helpful. I think I can tend to forget how unfulfilling life was without a close relationship with God. As silly as it sounds, I forget how having a personal relationship with God has changed my life. I also forget that my story is powerful because the change in my heart is real.

Gosh, it is good to remember.

Know this: God is real. He wants your heart. He will transform your life if you let him.

[years later and she's still good at encouragment via note]

2 comments:

  1. i am jealous... ten months of home sounds absolutely perfect to me.
    but anyways, love this post and the little story :) so encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "As silly as it sounds, I forget how having a personal relationship with God has changed my life. I also forget that my story is powerful because the change in my heart is real."

    I really don't think that's silly at all. Unfortunate maybe, but not silly. All the worries and concerns of this life can really take a huge toll on our ability to keep our eyes on what's important. Those attacks by Satan and his dominion can be very damaging to our effectiveness, both in reaching people and being beacons of His glory.

    In the Bible Study I go to we recently looked at Ephesians 6:10-18 and all the armor of God that can repel those attacks. We really do need to keep our relationship to maintain an understanding of that truth, faith, etc to continue to be effective in the power of God.

    ReplyDelete