11/5/12

just a tv show

This could totally be my television-disinterested, socially-selfish side talking, but the other day a friend nixed hanging with a few of us to watch a TV show. It wasn't the first time this person chose TV over something else, but I still couldn't believe it.

1. I'm offended.
2. Seriously?? TV over real life people?
3. Don't they have things like DVR and hulu nowadays?

So I've been thinking about this. Thinking of how much I dislike the fact that we allow something as unimportant as a TV show have that much control over our lives. I promise this isn't just a bitter response to a friend's actions. I'm guilty of it, too. We allow ourselves to become hooked on TV shows, blogs, social events, whatever. The list goes on.

In a devotional I'm reading, the author talks about working through whether or not God cares about "small" issues like this. I'm not sure what examples to use, but I'm sure something comes to your mind. The author goes to 1 Peter 2:11 "Dear friends, I urge you, as foreigners and exiles, to abstain from sinful desires, which wage war against your soul."

The truth is that the world is constantly fighting for our attention, energy, resources, love and passion. And more often than we like to admit, we allow the world to have much of these. But my favorite thought the author shares in this chapter is this: "Being ruled by anything other than God is something He takes quite seriously. And so should we."

I know it's just a TV show. Or just a piece of cake, or just a party. The thing itself might not seem sinful, but giving it control in our lives is. And in that we are making a huge mistake. We start defining our lives by standards that don't matter and living life for purposes that get us nowhere. We choose ________ over God.

What unimportant things do I allow to have control in my life? What do I need to give up to God? In what situations do I need to stand in the Spirit and fight to win the momentary battle?

What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment