11/12/14

autobiographical statement

So I'm sitting here way past my bedtime trying to write an autobiographical statement. I can't be the only one who has had to google "autobiographical statement" to even start that process, right? Shout out to ehow.com. Anyone want to tell me if it's supposed to be single or double spaced? Or maybe tell me how I'm supposed to fit all 13 things ehow.com tells me I need in 2 pages or less? Geez oh pete.

Tonight I've come to the realization that I hate writing things that feel too "formal" (not to be confused with dressing formal, which I love). This means I'm doing a lot of paragraph cutting. I guess if I'm applying to enter a program for a graduate certificate in Christian studies, I probably shouldn't talk about odd changes my body makes when it's been under extended periods of anxiety. And I should probably talk less like I'm writing a blog post. And maybe still be honest, but not in a blunt way that can be misunderstood or something.

This is going to take way longer than I anticipated.

And now, an excerpt from "Suzie's Unused Paragraphs from a Too-Casual Autobiographical Statement:"

Since then, I have stepped into leadership roles as I have felt God guide me. A lot of the time I don’t even like leading. It makes me nervous and scared and sometimes even causes burps or hiccups. But I dislike ignoring God even more. So I've jumped into learning to lead a discussion group (still not my favorite), learning to disciple young women (has anyone really figured that one out?), and learning that leading is a lot less about meetings and know-how, and a lot more about making yourself available, admitting your failures, learning from those failures, and being okay with changing plans because apparently that’s how God wanted it to all work out anyway.

Time to call it a night and try again tomorrow.


1 comment:

  1. The learning about leadership bit sounds like you could do a few informal blog posts out of. And oh how I wish more people in leadership(or other types of) positions got that "admit failures" thing. I do have a cool story about that, but it's not really a comment on a blog-post kind of thing. It's always difficult anyway to admit when we're wrong. I think in a work environment that can come up all the time, and understanding how to not tell someone else they're wrong in a poor manner is also really really hard. Leadership, above me and below, is something I've struggled with post graduation, personally.

    One thing that really stuck with me at LT oh so long ago was the distinction between trusting a leader, boss for example, because they are de facto over you, and trusting them because you know they care about you. That's hit pretty deep over the last couple years with the several supervisors I've had, in different ways, and is definitely something I'm keeping in mind for, on a different track, whenever I actually do get married.

    ReplyDelete